Registering as a resident

This means registering your name on the Municipal Residency list, showing all the residents of the town. Both Spanish residents and residents from overseas may register, regardless of their age, and whether or not their situation has been regularised.

Registering as a resident

People living in the town must be registered in this registry.

  • It may be a requirement for many official procedures, social assistance and economic assistance.
  • It means that they can apply for the Individual Health Card, sign their children up for school or be eligible for the town's Social Services.
  • It is used to prove how long someone has been living in Spain.
  • It allows applicants to participate in programmes to improve the living conditions of local residents.

Non-European Union foreign nationals, with the exception of those who have a Long Term Residence Permit, must renew their registration on the Municipal Census before two years have lapsed from their previous registration.


To register you must:

  • That the person resides in Basauri and is of age or is an emancipated minor.


The Registration Form must be filled in and signed. It is advisable to present the application in writing and request a stamped copy.

The official document must be correctly identified:

  • In the case of people with Spanish nationalitythe ID card of all those to be registered on the municipal census should be presented (the ID card is compulsory from the age of 14).
  • When registering, minors the family booklet must be presented. Depending on individual circumstances the following requirements apply:
    • In the case of both parents not being registered at the same address at which the minor will be registered (without being separated or divorced) the Parental Statement Form provided by the OIAC (Citizen Information and Attention Office)must be completed.
    • In the case of separation or divorce, the court decision regarding custody must be presented.
    • In the case of Guardianship, Fostering or Adoption, the court decision must be presented.
  • Citizens of the European Unionmust present a Passport or valid ID from their country and if they have it, the certificate of their registration on the Central Register of Foreigners with the corresponding identification number (NIE). Preferably the registration will be done using this identification number (NIE).
  • Nationals from other countries should present a valid residence card issued by the Spanish authorities. If not, a valid passport from their country can be presented. Preferably, the registration will be done using the NIE identification number.

A document must be presented showing occupation of the dwelling:

Any of the following documents will be considered valid: title deeds, rental contract (according to the circumstances, the authorisation of the proprietor including a photocopy of the ID of the person authorised) or a contract in the name of the applicant for the supply of utilities to the dwelling (water, gas, electricity, landline telephone).

In the case of subletting, the authorisation of the dwelling’s proprietor is required.

On change of address the administrative paperwok has to be redone.


Registration can be carried out at the Citizens Information and Attention Office ((OIAC)) and must be updated if change of address occurs.

Registration on the municipal census and change of address can be carried out atBasauri’s Citizens Information and Attention Office and atthe Citizens Information and Attention Office in San Miguel, Basauri .

Ayuntamiento de Basauri c/ Kareaga Goikoa 52. C.P.:48970 Basauri.
Tlfn.: 94 466 63 00 | Mensajes 24 horas: 900 840 841 | E-mail: